Sunday, November 10, 2013

In class we had a discussion on the venue for politicians to discuss their policies. John Stewart had one of the Obama administration official on his show. Kathleen Sebelius was on the show and discussing the problems with the roll out of the website. The fact that she went on his show to discuss the problems is a joke. Discussions like that need to be in an unbiased forum with a credible journalist not a comedian. I feel that this is their way of lying to the public and not having to answer the hard questions. The fact that they go on shows like this is undermines creditable journalist. Watch the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M9A9VE-NH0w.
Now read the Time magazines article on the same topic  http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/22/sebelius-dodges-questions-on-obamacare-glitches/
Make up your own mind.

1 comment:

  1. Thomas, I think I understand where you are coming from, but I have to wonder what exactly constitutes a "credible journalist" in today's world. Everything has changed for journalists over the past few decades. The internet has completely turned the industry upside down with blogs, twitter, and a myriad of additional outlets that both journalists and pseudo journalists have access too. While shows such as The Daily Show or the Colbert Report might be "comedy" in nature, they still command quite the viewing audience. I seem to recall a post by Dr. DeWitt (I think) in one of the modules that listed viewers of The Daily Show as one of the top scoring groups in a political quiz conducted. I suppose my point is that although this new form of comedic journalism doesn't fall in line with the traditional methods, perhaps it is still useful to disseminate information to the public? At minimum, it should be more vetted than some of the blogs I have read.

    ReplyDelete